Monday, September 15, 2014

Día de la Independencia / Independence Day

As most of you know I'm from Mexico City and tomorrow is our independence day BUT we celebrate it tonight. Growing up we used to go to our City Hall/Centro Cívico to celebrate. It has a big park on both sides of the building so mostly on one side were rides and games and on the other side were booths with typical food. If I recall correctly many years ago at midnight the Mayor would do the Grito de Independencia...the same that the President does at El Zócalo which now is done at an earlier time, and I think they had cancelled the celebration at our City Hall. Since the celebration is on the 15th you use the holiday to rest from parting all night :0) but mainly for the military parade. From about mid August to Independence day everywhere you go you see everything patriotic you could need for the Fiesta Mexicana. It's the ONLY time you find patriotic things for sell. On the 17th all is gone until the next year. Prices are the same from the day the sales start to the last day, 16th. There is no point on waiting until the last minute to get what you want or need to celebrate and obviously earlier you might find more things than towards the last days. 
Being away from home and since I started card making I tried to send my family a handmade card. Sometimes is hard as all you find here as a theme are piñatas, maracas, not so nice sombreros, donkeys things that do not reflect our Country but I still try to make it work and hopefully my family will see it as a funny American style Mexican card :0)
While surfing Pinterest I saw a triangle shape card, I believe was by Always Stamping which I loved so decided to try it out and it's my new favorite "normal" card. She was the only one I saw that had "flat" triangle cards even showed how to make the envelope BUT it fits perfectly on regular envelopes either A2 or A6
Our colors are green, white & red.

So those are the colors I always try to use for my cards...not always the right tone but oh well :0) I found the sombrero on Google and colored it with Copic Markers to give it our colors. The message is from a very old SU set and colored in 3 different colors since white obviously wouldn't show I used gray





I change the decorations all around the house for holidays that I can decorate so this is what I have as decoration on my dining room for Independence day. Obviously everything is from Mexico either bought in one of our trips or sent by my family...except for the Snoopys of course :0)

Our table sits 8 people comfortably but we have sit 12 people. My sister help me fixed the center piece as the way I had it you couldn't appreciate the awesome sombrero. (it's black & gold) very elegant and of course the reboso helps :0) 


         

  This table is where I normally set up my nativity at Christmas time so the rest of the year I put some of my Snoopys out, this time I picked the ones with no theme so I could have them ready to party for Independence LOL

Even my big Snoopy by the entrance is ready to party


No comments:

Post a Comment