Sunday, November 2, 2014

Stampin' Up Christmas Card Bash

Today is Día de muertos - Day of the death in México and one of our traditions is "Pan de muerto". We had been lucky for the most part to find it locally at the Hispanic or Mexican stores. This year I forgot to get it but my sister was nice enough to get me one except it was not normal, the shape is the same but the original is always sweet...with sugar topping, this is more like salty bread but still didn't taste bad :0)



attended another SU workshop, all Christmas cards. It was fun and for the most part was able to work on all, although Darlene did help me a lot which I appreciated and I don't think I changed much on these cards :0)



This one I didn't check the sample on how it was stamped to fit the area so luckily I was able to make it work




This one was using the new sequins but I don't really care for them so I used snowflakes from Impress and the tiny stars are jewels from The Paper Studio 




This is last years Paper Pumpkin kit (Nov. 2013) I think the way they had it was a waste of string so I cut my pieces just to fit from one side to the other and of course I had to add the bottom string a bit low so it wouldn't cover the message :0)







This one I made it on the opposite side wasn't paying attention when attaching the baker's twine but pretty much was the same idea.

For the most part every card that had ribbon we did the flat piece (just enough to adhere on back) and then a bow glued to it. I think it's easier BUT mostly less waste of ribbon. At home I might not care much since I seem to collect ribbons but at workshop I don't like to waste supplies. BTW I'm glad that now must of the papers are cut for us, less waste for the demonstrators :0) 

I know, not of my business BUT a lot of times seems like some people don't care and waste too much, not considering that there are more people doing the same card or maybe that's just the way they do at home :0)

I love going to these workshops is fun visiting with the other stampers and a lot of times I get to help a new stamper. The first thing I always like them to know is FORGET THE SAYING "is just my sample" because sample or not they need to do their best work. I do use these cards as samples but if I didn't do a good job then why would I keep the card as a sample? and of course if it wasn't good it could not be given to anyone either. If something is not good enough for me is not good enough for anyone else :0)

I think that we should focus more in teaching the new stampers, and experienced stampers on how to be less wasteful, care for someone else's tools as well as your own and how to actually stamp, than focusing only in teaching the new things like how to dry emboss, die cut, wet emboss, etc. Why? well because as a new card maker or even experienced stamper if you don't have the good habits from start the bad habits will follow you forever, the less we waste the more we out of your supplies we get. Learning how to punch or cut paper to be less wasteful, same with ribbon; when cutting, cut enough so you can work with without hassle but not too much that you end up wasting big pieces but not big enough to use on other project :0)...I used to hate doing bows I rather do knots but now I'm getting better at bows although for some things I still prefer a knot, some times I still have a hard time so I get someone to do it for me but I have been trying practicing so I can do it all the time, I don't like cutting ribbon to short that will make it hard to work on so if I get to work from spool I try to waste as little as possible if I'm the one doing something with ribbon as a project for others to do I make one the way it should be then I undo, measure and cut my pieces, for the most part works pretty good :0)

The taking care of tools include NO CONTAMINATING ink pads, don't you hate it when you want to use a yellow pad and it has red, blue or green because someone forgot to clean the stamp after using or had a stamped inked with one color and then use another pad without cleaning? PERSONALLY, I don't like SU scrubber, is not that is a bad product but I think that after a few uses it doesn't clean well it's sort of muddy which is another factor of contaminating pads. I take with me baby wipes so after using a stamp it gets COMPLETELY clean before handing to another person or put back in box. If we get the new stampers with the habit that they don't need to smash the stamp on ink pad to get a full coverage as well as making the older stamper to change that bad habit we would all have better luck getting a clean & clear image. There are different ink pads as well as stamps even though they all need different pressure they ALL needs a light touch, I always tease my friends that they should treat the pads / stamp like a delicate woman...gentle so it would work nicely, if you treat like a man you'll probably get a shadow image or worse. Smashing the stamp on the ink also makes it harder to clean and if using wood mount stamps more likely you'll be getting ink all over the wood that can't be removed. If it's a clear or cling mount probably it would be all over the clear block which more likely if not clean it might get on the paper OR WORSE all over your hands. I know some stampers say that if they don't get ink in their hands they're not having fun BUT I enjoy and have lots of fun stamping AS LONG AS I don't get ink all over my hands...can't stand it. Besides that it does bother me I think that there is a BIG chance that you will transfer that ink onto what you're working on :0) which means waste of paper or ruin project
We should always pay attention NO TO CUT mats that are meant for the embossing folders or the bases like magnetic plate or the other plate. NEVER cut where you shouldn't
It would be nice to have ribbon scissors and other scissor why? because it's always nicer to have a sharp blade to cut ribbon and like my mom used to tell us YOU DO NOT CUT PAPER or anything else with her sewing scissor well it should be the same with ribbon scissor but that's just me and most people don't care :0)
Closing ink pads or markers properly so they don't dry or damage tips. 

Those that don't teach, complain or judge :0) I guess I can't be a instructor because I'm too picky and couldn't handle people ruining my things because they are careless either because is not their stuff or just because they don't care, being new is not at excuse :0)

I babble enough sorry about that guess sometimes I like to give my 2¢ where not asked :0)
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment