Monday, July 14, 2014

Scrapbook Expo

This past weekend (July 11 & 12) was the Scrapbook Expo at Puyallup WA it was again a pretty small show maybe 20 vendors. I think the worst part wasn't the few vendors but that they had them all packed in a corner too closed to each other so it felt crowded. They have the whole building so plenty of room to spread them out to make it easy for people to walk around, see demos and product as well as having more room for people with wheelchairs. There was at least two people with wheel chairs and one of them was with me, in two booths she had to get out of the wheelchair as there was no room at all for it.

Since it's an expensive show $10 per day ($8 if you pre-buy tickets BUT there is a $3 fee for buying online) I take classes as they give you the admission free with the pre-registration. I only take classes if there is something that interest me as the classes are also very expensive...to me.

The class I took on Friday was with The Rubber Cafe it was "always fabulous folds" for $38. We had one project in 1.5 hours and one project to work at home. The way I figure it is $38-$8 (admission)-$14.99 (free stamp) so the class itself was $$16.51 (with half the fee cost)

I don't think in the 3 years I have taken classes with them we have never finished the projects. The other years were more project in the same 1.5hrs. This year since we have to go at along with everyone else and we all have different speeds the instructor has to keep up with them and the first part of the class was cutting we had to cut the top and bottom by hand then trace one piece on the background paper and cut and having the Scan N Cut machine just makes it easier for my hands so decided not to cut there and since I didn't cut the pieces I couldn't do the decoration.

This is the project we started there. It was a double slider box


But as you know even though I like 3D projects I don't have room to store them so I remade it into a card. I used the top and bottom of the box for the base of the card



it was still 3D as the flowers were bulky. the only thing I changed from the pieces they gave us was one of the flowers as it was making the flower out of wrinkled circles so I used the flower trim from Stampin' Up (now retired)

This was the take home project. We got the flat base and all the die cuts. I punched the edge of the paper added all the flowers and once again I used one of the SU flower trim instead of making the flower with the circles


The class on Saturday was with Krazy Kreations. Coloring with Copic markers on glitter paper & paper and peel-off stickers. This class was one hour. We had two project to color one on glitter paper and the other on plain paper. 3 years ago when I took their first class we got a stamp, 3 Copic Markers and Copic glitter pen this time we only got a black Copic Marker which was a duplicate for me. The breakdown come to $22-$8 (admission) -$8 (marker) so class itself was $7.50 (including the other half of fee)

In all the classes we have taken we had to pretty much beg for the instructions as Kara says she wants to be green so she doesn't print instruction and do all via email but she seems to forget to send the papers until we remind her. Last year as well as this year the markers we had to use in class were dried which doesn't help the blending which to me is being unprepared. I was late to class because I was shopping :0) and didn't hear the alarm so by the time we got to class they had already added the sticker to the glitter paper and were listening to some instructions so didn't hear her excuse of why we were using the wrong color of markers.

This was the original card we were supposed to do

and she did supplied everything to do it on this color...white card base, black layer and this


But then she realize she had either the wrong makers or changed her mind so she also gave us this


This was my finished projects. I didn't use neither of the pieces above as I didn't like it with the color we used on the flowers. Also I changed the pearls from off white to black and added another pearl in the center of the open flower. We weren't supposed to color the background but the blender pen was pretty wet compare to the B00 so it bled outside the lines.

This one was peel-off on glitter paper

This one was peel-off direct on Neenah paper, I added the yellow since I did it on the above piece :0)



No comments:

Post a Comment